Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Close, Very Close



Post-production of Spirits Among Us is very close to complete. I just have some final touches on the music for two scenes, maybe three, then the movie will be completed. By “movie” I just mean the movie itself, from opening to ending credits. I still have to author the dvd with the out-takes and behind the scenes bonus features, and add in the copyright and license information.

This is a huge milestone, I am very happy. With considerable help from the musician doing the score, I have made substantial improvements to the overall quality and impact of the film. Sound and music contribute more to a movie than most people realize. It always surprises me. In addition to music, I finally figured out a good method to alter the image so it looks more “film-like” rather than a soap opera shot on video. The difference is subtle in appearance, but considerable in perception. I know that sounds contradictory, but it isn’t. What we “see” and what we “perceive” are often very different. People have seen so many media productions that when they “see” certain visual cues, they “perceive” what type of production they are watching. If they see the visual cues particular to video, they perceive it is a lower budget production, even if the picture quality is outstanding. That is just how it is.

It is very rewarding to see what all the hard work has yielded. I have not added up all the post-production hours yet, but I’m sure it will be eye-opening to see just how many hours were poured into this.

The photo is a screen capture of an intense scene with the angry husband, played by Diego Arias.

No comments: